- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large red cabbage, core removed and finely sliced
- 1 dessert apple, cored, quartered, peeled and grated
- 3tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 60ml red wine vinegar, cider vinegar or malt vinegar
- 125ml dry cider or apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
Put all the ingredients into a large, heavy-based pan or flameproof casserole with a lid. Add a splash of water and bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat as low as possible and cook, covered, for 1-1½ hours until the cabbage is really tender, stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper and serve on its own or as a side.
Recipe credit: Recipes and photographs taken from The Bountiful Kitchen by Lizzie Kamenetzky, photography by Laura Edwards (Kyle Books, £16.99).