- 1.2litres dash or vegetable stock
- handful of dried shiitake
- 500g mix of soup vegetables (such as sliced carrots and broccoli florets)
- pinch of salt
- 200g soba or ramen noodles
For the tare
- 2tbsp miso paste
- 50ml shoyu (Japanese soy sauce, available to buy at souschef.co.uk)
- 50ml mirin
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 11⁄2tbsp Sriracha
- 3tbsp chickpea flour
- 11⁄2tbsp tahini
- 1tbsp tamarind paste
- 1tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- pickled red cabbage
- 4 eggs, boiled and halved
- 80g seroendeng
- handful of chives
- handful of black sesame seeds
- hichimi togarashi (Japanese spice mix, available to buy at souschef.co.uk) or chilli flakes
Pour the dashi or vegetable stock into a large pan. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Add the dried shiitake and mixed soup vegetables to the stock with a pinch of salt. Lower the heat and let the stock simmer until you are ready to assemble.
Transfer 200ml of dashi or stock, without any vegetables, to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the tare ingredients then blend in a food processor until smooth. Let it simmer over a low heat until ready to serve.
Prepare the add-ins and toppings and cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Rinse the noodles in cold water and set aside.
Pour the remaining litre of hot dashi or vegetable stock into serving bowls. Stir the tare into the stock. Divide the drained noodles, add-ins and toppings between the bowls. Customise your heat and strength of flavour to taste.
Recipe credit: Recipes and photographs taken from Bowls Of Goodness by Nina Olsson (Kyle Books, £18.99)