- 1tsp dried lavender flowers, plus extra for decorating
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra for decorating
- 100g salted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100g plain flour
- whipped cream or crème fraîche, sweetened with a drop or two of vanilla essence
- punnet strawberries, hulled
Crumble the dried lavender into the caster sugar and leave in a screw- top jar overnight.
Preheat the oven to 160C/ 325F/Gas 3 and grease a flat oven tray with a little of the extra butter.
In a food processor, cream the lavender sugar with the butter and plain flour. Pulse again to a sticky crumb, tip on to a work surface and knead briefly together. Flour the surface, press the dough out into a circle and roll out to 23cm. Ease the dough on to the oven tray, crimp the edges with a fork and, with a cutter or glass, stamp out a circle in the centre. Leave it in place and cut the surrounding dough into wedges, leaving them in place, too. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until pale golden.
Re-cut the wedges and circle and leave to cool. Scatter with caster sugar and dried lavender.
To serve, scatter the hulled strawberries with sugar and place on the biscuits with the whipped cream or crème fraîche.
Recipe credit: Photography by Martin Brigdale