Beetroot and ruby chard thoran
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 3⁄4tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2tsp urad dal (split and skinned black lentils, available to buy at souschef.co.uk)
- 2-4 dried chillies
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 500g raw beetroot, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2 small shallots or 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 80g coconut, freshly grated, plus extra to serve
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 18g fresh ginger, finely chopped (peeled weight)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 14 large stems of ruby or rainbow chard, leaves shredded and tender stems sliced
Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, lentils and dried chillies and reduce the heat. Once the popping of the mustard seeds starts to subside and the lentils have turned a light golden colour, add the curry leaves. Follow 5 seconds later with the chopped beetroot and some salt. Stir well for a few minutes and then reduce the heat.
Cover and allow to cook for 18-20 minutes, or until the mixture begins to soften. Meanwhile, blend the shallots or onion, coconut, cumin, ginger and garlic to form a coarse paste. Add to the beetroot and cook gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chard. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, sprinkle with the extra coconut and serve.