Chicory braised with grapefruit, mandarin and soy
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp runny honey
- 4 heads chicory, cut in half lengthways
- 50g butter
- finely grated zest 1 mandarin, plus 50ml juice
- 1tsp finely grated grapefruit zest, plus 50ml juice
- 30ml dark soy sauce
- few sprigs thyme
- 15g lemon zest, finely grated
- 5g mandarin zest, finely grated
- 40g medium-hot red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 salt
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Melt the honey in a saucepan and brush over the cut edges of the chicory.
Sear the chicory in the frying pan, cut-side down, until it starts to caramelise, then flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the butter, citrus zests and juices and soy sauce then sprinkle over the thyme sprigs and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Simmer, turning regularly, until the chicory is tender, and the liquids have reduced to a syrup.
Serve alongside grilled meat or with mashed potato.
To make 60G of lemon-mandarin-kosho :
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for a week before using.