Grilled aubergines with mozzarella and yuzukosho
- 3 aubergines, sliced into 2cm discs
- olive oil, for brushing
- 250g mozzarella, drained and thickly sliced
- yuzu powder, for sprinkling (optional)
For the dressing
- 1tbsp lemon-mandarin kosho
- 1tbsp yuzu juice (available to buy in most supermarkets) or lemon juice
- grated zest and juice 1 mandarin (optional)
- dash of light soy sauce
For the greens and lentils
- 1tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200g chard, stems and leaves separated, both sliced
- 100g sprouting broccoli, cut into sections
- 100g Oriental greens, sliced lengthways
- 50g mustard greens
- handful shiso leaves (optional)
- 100g cooked green lentils
- dash light soy sauce or tamari (optional)
- 15g lemon zest, finely grated
- 5g mandarin zest, finely grated
- 40g medium-hot red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 salt
Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook in a griddle pan until they are browned and tender.
While the aubergines are grilling, whisk the dressing ingredients together and taste, adding more of any of the ingredients until you get the flavour you like.
To finish the aubergines, put them on a baking tray and lay the sliced mozzarella on top. Place under a hot grill so the cheese browns lightly but is still soft and not too rubbery.
Meanwhile, to cook the greens, put the oil in a wok and heat until shimmering. Add the spring onions, garlic, chard stems and sprouting broccoli and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until the broccoli is almost cooked. Add the chard leaves and Oriental greens with a splash of water and cook for a further minute. Add the mustard greens and shiso leaves, if using, and cook until wilted then stir through the lentils just to warm them. Season with sea salt and black pepper, plus a dash of soy sauce or tamari, if using.
Sprinkle the aubergines with yuzu powder, if using, and serve with the dressing, alongside the greens and lentils.
To make 60G of lemon-mandarin-kosho:
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for a week before using.